Today's Top Words:
season you when games west had ham premier against just said one so united win
Transfer news LIVE: Sancho to Manchester United latest, Havertz to Chelsea as they move for Declan Rice

Below is a summary of the full article. Click here for the full version or go back to Hammers Live

Welcome to the Evening Standard's rolling transfer news and rumours live blog.

Premier League football takes a back-seat this weekend as the FA Cup has the spotlight with matches being played in June for the first time in the competition's history.

Sheffield United host Arsenal in the early kick-off at 1.00pm, before Chelsea travel to Leicester and Newcastle welcome Manchester City in today's quarter-final ties.

Meanwhile, and despite the unseen economic strain on clubs brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, transfer activity and speculation remains bouyant ahead of this summer's window.

Latest transfer news and rumours…?

EUROPEAN NEWS

Arthur travels for Juventus medical

Photo: Getty Images

Here is the very latest from Standard Sport's Spanish football correspondent Ben Hayward on the proposed Arthur Melo/Miralem Pjanic part-exchange deal between Barcelona and Juventus...

Barcelona midfielder Arthur Melo has travelled to Turin for a medical with Juventus ahead of his summer transfer to the Italian champions.

The 23-year-old appeared as a late substitute in Barca's 2-2 draw away to Celta Vigo on Saturday and then flew to Italy for his examinations, which will take place on Sunday.

Arthur has agreed to join Juventus in a €70million deal which will see Miralem Pjanic move in the opposite direction at the end of the season.

The Brazilian, who has been accompanied by a Barca doctor on the trip to Italy, is expected to sign a five-year deal which could be announced as soon as Sunday.

With Barca in action at home to Atletico Madrid in LaLiga on Tuesday night, the midfielder will return to the Catalan capital on Sunday evening.

Arthur has made 72 appearances since signing for Barcelona from Gremio in 2018 and coach Quique Setien said on Friday that the Brazilian would continue to be important until the end of the season.

MAN UTD NEWS

United 'have to sign' Sancho

Photo: Getty Images

Jadon Sancho was also a hot topic of discussion during the post-match analysis following Manchester United's last-gasp FA Cup quarter-final victory over Norwich City earlier this evening.

"That’s the kind of signing they have to make if they’re going to be challenging City and Liverpool," said BBC pundit and Arsenal legend Ian Wright.

"Martial and Rashford, both of them 19 goals each, last time any Man Utd players got that was Chicharito (Javier Hernandez) and (Dimitar) Berbatov."

LIVERPOOL NEWS

Klopp: Sancho would look good in Liverpool shirt

Photo: Getty Images

Jurgen Klopp has admitted that Jadon Sancho would look 'very good' in the red of Liverpool, but has played down the chances of a switch to Anfield this summer for the Borussia Dortmund and England star.

"A red jersey would look very good on Jadon Sancho," Klopp told Bild.

"But I don't think such a transfer will take place this summer.

"He is a very interesting player. If he moved to Liverpool, I would be the most surprised of all."

Advertisement

CHELSEA NEWS

Werner breaks record in final Leipzig game

Photo: Getty Images

Chelsea-bound Timo Werner made history in his final game for RB Leipzig, with two goals sealing his place as the club's all-time top scorer.

The 24-year-old has sealed a £53million move to Chelsea this summer and guided Leipzig to third place in the Bundesliga table with a 2-1 win against Augsburg in their final game of the season.

The German has rejected the chance to play in Leipzig's remaining Champions League fixtures this season, meaning he entered the game knowing it was his last for the club.

And Werner certainly didn't disappoint, taking his goal tally to 95 in 159 matches with a special double.

Werner needed just 30 minutes to break Daniel Frahn's long-standing record, rounding Augsburg goslkeeper Tomas Koubek to strike home into an empty net.

Leipzig needed to match Borussia Monchengladbach's win to secure a top-three finish, and Augsburg looked to spoil the party, with Ruben Vargas providing an equaliser.

Typically, it was Werner who settled the tie with 10 minutes remaining. The forward beat the offside trap before smashing home from a tight angle.

The offside flag did go up, but fortunately - both for Werner and Leipzig - the decision was overruled by VAR.

Leipzig took the three points and third place, while Werner cemented his position in club history.

Werner was immediately brought off, with his final involvement being that second goal.

The striker - who finished the season with a total of 28 league goals - will be able to join up with Chelsea from June 30, but he is not eligible to play until next season.

EUROPEAN NEWS

Arthur, Pjanic to undergo medicals

Barcelona midfielder Arthur Melo will make his way to Turin tonight, before undergoing a medical with Juventus tomorrow, report Sky Sports. 

The midfielder will complete a £72.5million switch, before flying back to Spain ahead of their game against Atletico Madrid on Tuesday. 

Arthur played today against Celta Vigo, coming on as a late substitution after starting from the bench. 

Sky also report Miralem Pjanic will undergo a medical in Turin this weekend. He will make a switch to Barcelona for around £60million. 
 

SPURS NEWS

Mourinho keen on Sanchez reunion 

Surely not! Could we actually see Alexis Sanchez is a Spurs shirt? 

Photo: Getty

Jose Mourinho would be open to a reunion with Manchester United forward Sanchez at Tottenham report 90min. 

Mourinho was in charge when Sanchez transferred to United, arguably when his sharp decline in form began. 

But regardless the three-time Premier League winner is reportedly interested in bringing him back to north London.
 

Advertisement

CHELSEA NEWS

Di Matteo a 'big fan' of Werner

Roberto Di Matteo has stated he is a "big fan" of Chelsea signing Timo Werner, revealing he's tried to sign the striker twice.

"When I was at Schalke he was at Stuttgart and he was just coming on to the scene,’ Di Matteo told Chelsea's official website. "During the second part of the season, before I left, I was planning with my sporting director.

"I was saying I wanted to sign this guy, he’s good. He was young, quick, technically good. I said 'can we not sign this boy Timo'.

"We didn’t in the end and then I resigned and so on. Then I went to Villa. Stuttgart, the season after, they got relegated, and so I enquired again to sign him, but then Leipzig signed him on."

Di Matteo added: ‘I’m a big fan of his and he’s developed really, really well as well. 

"He’s a goal scorer, he scores goals, so he can guarantee a certain amount of goals for the team, which is very good, and he’s very pacey as well, he’s fast."

CHELSEA NEWS

Werner makes a record-breaking Leipzig farewell 

Timo Werner scored with his last kick in an RB Leipzig shirt, also becoming their all-time top scorer with a double against Ausburg. 

Photo: Getty

With the Bundesliga coming to a close, while Werner has opted out of Leipzig's remaining Champions League games, it was his last time to impress. 

And impress he did. The 24-year-old - who has sealed a £53million move to Chelsea this summer - ended his Leipzig career in style by taking his tally to 95. 

It certainly looks like smart business by Frank Lampard. 
 

EUROPEAN NEWS

Robben comes out of retirement 

Arjen Robben has announced he is to come out of retirement to play for his hometown club FC Groningen.

Photo: Getty

The 36-year-old announced his retirement a year ago, leaving Bayern Munich to bring an end to a 19-year career. 

The winger - who also played for PSV, Chelsea and Real Madrid - announced his decision video on Groningen’s social channels. 

"It will be a tough physical challenge but I am going for it," he said. 

Advertisement

EUROPEAN NEWS

Hakimi wants Inter move to work with Conte 

There were three decisions behind Achraf Hakimi's decision to join Inter Milan according to AS, one of which was to work with Antonio Conte. 

Photo: Getty

The former Chelsea boss certainly has some pulling power, with Victor Moses recently saying the very same. 

Additionally, the full-back does not want to return to parent club Real Madrid and play second fiddle to Dani Carvajal, though he doesn't rule out a reunion in the future. 

The financial package offered to Hakimi was also reportedly a factor. 

ARSENAL NEWS

Cole questions who's making Arsenal's transfer decisions 

Former Chelsea forward Joe Cole has revealed he "feels sorry" for Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta, insisting questions should be asked of technical director Edu. 

“The one person I feel sorry for in all this is Mikel Arteta," he told BT Sport. "Because he looks like a great coach and it looks like there is some kind of system he is trying to implement.

“We know David Luiz has been a top player and won everything in the game, but the performances this season, I don't know who's taking the decision to make him another year's contract."

"Arguably one of their biggest games of the season, Arteta left him out."

Photo: Getty

He added: “For me that's a big signal, he's left his most experienced player out of the biggest game against Man City – and then you give him another years contract. [It's] muddled thinking.”

Before adding: “Cedric – if you're looking to go and compete with Liverpool and Chelsea and you go and sign a 29-year-old full-back who's arguably not played at that level where he's regularly competing against top sides, and you're asking him make a difference, then giving him a four-year contract.

“If I'm an Arsenal fan, I would be asking questions of Edu and the people making these decisions. I feel sorry for Arteta because he's got a lot of promise as a young coach.”

PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS

Premier League battle for Todibo

Barcelona youngster Jean-Clair Todibo is a man in demand, with a number of Premier League clubs chasing his signature, report Mundo Deportivo. 

Photo: Getty

The Frenchman plays his final game for Shalke on Saturday, with his future very much up in the air. 

And Southampton, Everton and Watford are all reportedly keen on the centre-back, alongside both Sevilla and Cologne. 

Advertisement

PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS

Newcastle sign Gillespie 

Newcastle have signed goalkeeper Mark Gillespie on a three-year deal with an option of a fourth, according to Sky Sports. 

The 28-year-old has been brought as a replacement for the outgoing Rob Elliot and will arrive as a free transfer after leaving Motherwell. 

Newcastle are yet to confirm the signing, but Sky report they will do so in the coming days. 

EUROPEAN NEWS

Quique Setien 'still counting' on Arthur 

Barcelona coach Quique Setien insists he's still "counting on" Arthur Melo, despite the midfielder being close to agreeing a deal with Juventus. 

Photo: Getty

"In principle I'm still counting on him," Setien said, as per Sky Sports. "He's a player we are going to need. He's important. In principle, he'll take part in training and then he will travel, with the possibility of playing. It is what it is.

"We have to try to ensure all this noise doesn't affect him and in the event of him going out to play, that he gives the best of himself.

"What's happening is not normal. I suppose any player in a situation like this has to be clear that the season is not finished, and that there are really important games left for him, like the rest.

"I'm sure he will want to end well, if that's the case, win a trophy and leave a good impression up until the last day."

EUROPEAN NEWS

Hakimi on the bench vs Hoffenheim 

Achraf Hakimi has been dropped to the bench in Borussia Dortmund's Bundesliga match againnst Hoffenheim amid speculation of a move to Italy. 

The Real Madrid full-back is coming towards the end of his two-year loan spell with Dortmund, who are keen to retain his services. 

However, Sky Sports Italy have reported Inter Milan to have agreed a £36.3million deal for the defender.

And Hakimi being dropped to the bench is certainly a statement. 

Advertisement

EUROPEAN NEWS

Dortmund confident of Sancho stay 

Borussia Dortmund are growing ever more confident that Jadon Sancho will remain at the club, report Goal. 

The German club are yet to receive an offer for the 20-year-old despite interest from Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea.

And head of the licensed player division Sebastian Kehl insists he expects the winger to stay. 

“We expect Jadon to play with BVB next season and we’re all very happy with the quality that he brings to our side and the difference that he can make,” he told Sport Buzzer, also revealing there have been no offers. 

LIVERPOOL NEWS

'A red jersey would look very good on Sancho' 

Jurgen Klopp insists a Liverpool shirt would "look very good" on Jadon Sancho, but insists a move is unlikely. 

Photo: Getty

Liverpool have been linked with the Borussia Dortmund star, though rivals Manchester United and Chelsea are also reportedly interested. 

Asked about Sancho live at an event hosted by BILD, Klopp replied: “A red jersey would look very good on Jadon. But I don't think such a transfer will take place this summer. 

“He is a very interesting player. If he moved to Liverpool, I would be the most surprised of all!”

MAN UTD NEWS

Man Utd 'need' Grealish to challenge 

Manchester United "need" to sign Jack Grealish if they are to compete for the Premier League title, believes Tim Sherwood

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side have been in good form following the restart, with January signing Bruno Fernandes continuing to shine. 

And although United are expected to spend this summer, Sherwood believes they are still short of challenging for the title, which was wrapped up by rivals Liverpool on Thursday. 

Photo: Getty

“I look at that squad now and I think they’re two or three players short of challenging for the title,” he told Premier League productions.

“I think they need another striker, I think they need Jack Grealish, who is a brilliant player to have when teams sit back against them like Tottenham did the other evening where he can occupy the tight areas and create something.

“I think they need another centre-back as cover. If they can get that and they have the money to be able to go out and buy them sort of players to attract them to the biggest club in the world then I think they’ll be real challengers.

“I think Ole’s done a brilliant building job.”

Advertisement

EUROPEAN NEWS

ICYMI: Inter close in on Hakimi

Inter Milan are closing in on Achraf Hakimi, according to Sky in Italy.

Getty

Inter have struck a deal with Real Madrid for a fee in the region of £36.3m, and Hakimi is open to a move.

The 21-year-old has spent the last two seasons on loan at Borussia Dortmund, who were keen to sign him permanently.

Manchester City and Bayern Munich were also monitoring the situation. 

LIVERPOOL NEWS

Liverpool to make Koulibaly move 

Liverpool will make a move for Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly "in the coming days", report Tuttomercato, via Daily Mail. 

Photo: Getty

Jurgen Klopp is reportedly determined to strengthen following his side's confirmation as Premier League champions. 

And the German is said to want Koulibably alongside Virgil van Dijk to improve an already solid defence. 

Manchester City have also been linked with the centre-back, with The Times reporting he wants to join Pep Guardiola's side. 

Next

Can't see the Transfer news LIVE blog? Click here to access our desktop page.

When does the 2020 summer transfer window open?

The Premier League's chief executive, Richard Masters, has confirmed that the window is not set to open until the end of the season.

The campaign is currently scheduled to finish on Sunday July 26th, though the FA Cup Final will be held on August 1.

Therefore, August 2 seems a likely date for the window to open, though Masters admitted there is not yet a plan for how long it would go on for - especially with no dates yet confirmed for the 2020/21 season.

A summer transfer window usually lasts at least 12 weeks. Recent reports suggest Fifa will allow leagues to open their windows up to four weeks before the culmination of the season.

Players can be officially registered with their new clubs when the Fifa international window opens on July 1 - such as Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner with Chelsea - though Fifa guidelines suggest players joining in July will not be able to play for their new clubs during the current 2019-20 season.

From January 1 onwards, Premier League players with six months left on their contract have been able to negotiate and agree pre-contract deals with foreign clubs.

Some players have signed short-term deals with their clubs to finish the current season, but there is no obligation for players to do so. However, they will not be able to play for a new team this season even if they become a free agent due to Fifa regulations on registrations.




For more news relating to Newcastle United, visit our sister site NUFC Live.
Click to visit Evening Standard | Click to return to Hammers Live
Share Hammers Live



Dont Buy The Sun



rss icon



Arsenal News - Chelsea News - Everton News - Liverpool FC News - Man City News - Manchester United News - Newcastle News - Spurs News - West Ham News - Celtic News - Rangers News - BeIN Sports Schedule - Internet Commentator Database - Shortwave Radio Schedules - < - Contact

©2018 Hammers Live.

Valid XHTML 1.0 StrictDont Buy The Sun [Valid RSS]